[CentOS] No X with new 6.6 kernel

Wed Oct 29 03:09:28 UTC 2014
Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com>

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 7:33 PM, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:
> On 10/28/2014 09:06 PM, Mark LaPierre wrote:
>> On 10/28/14 21:13, Mark LaPierre wrote:
>>> Hey Y'all,
>>>
>>> After upgrade to 6.6 my gui will not start.  The problem is probably
>>> related to the dusty old video card I've got in this crusty old machine.
>>>
>>> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation G73 [GeForce 7600
>>> GS] (rev a2)
>>>
>>> I've got the proprietary drivers installed.  Normally when I update my
>>> kernel the video module is rebuilt automagically.  That probably doesn't
>>> work with the new kernel.
>>>
>>> I can get the GUI running by booting into the previous kernel version.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know what repository and package name I need to update the
>>> driver for 6.6?
>>>

>> Okay, I erased kmod-nvidia-304xx and nvidia-x11-drv-304xx
>>
>> I booted into the new kernel and reinstalled kmod-nvidia-304xx and
>> nvidia-x11-drv-304xx.
>>
>> After a reboot still no joy.
>>
>> The Xorg.0.log says:
>>
>> [    57.575] (EE) NVIDIA: Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module.
>> Please check your
>> [    57.575] (EE) NVIDIA:     system's kernel log for additional error
>> messages.
>>
>> Where do I find said kernel log?
>>

> Do you also have kernel-devel for the new kernel installed?
>
> I don't know how that package works (it is not in one of the CentOS
> repo's) but it might need to be updated by the provider to work with the
> new kernel as well.
>
> Akemi, is that an elrepo package .. and does it work with 6.6?

Someone called my name ... :)

Mark, first make sure you need the -304xx driver by running nvidia-detect:

http://elrepo.org/tiki/nvidia-detect

Once confirmed, you need to install the latest version of
kmod-nvidia-304xx from the elrepo-testing repository on your 6.6 OS.
Please see:

http://elrepo.org/bugs/view.php?id=517

They will eventually be moved to the elrepo main repository.

Akemi