[CentOS] No X with new 6.6 kernel

Wed Oct 29 11:03:26 UTC 2014
Ned Slider <ned at unixmail.co.uk>

On 29/10/14 03:09, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 7:33 PM, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:

>>> Okay, I erased kmod-nvidia-304xx and nvidia-x11-drv-304xx
>>>
>>> I booted into the new kernel and reinstalled kmod-nvidia-304xx and
>>> nvidia-x11-drv-304xx.
>>>
>>> After a reboot still no joy.
>>>
>>> The Xorg.0.log says:
>>>
>>> [    57.575] (EE) NVIDIA: Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module.
>>> Please check your
>>> [    57.575] (EE) NVIDIA:     system's kernel log for additional error
>>> messages.
>>>
>>> Where do I find said kernel log?
>>>

>> Do you also have kernel-devel for the new kernel installed?
>>
>> I don't know how that package works (it is not in one of the CentOS
>> repo's) but it might need to be updated by the provider to work with the
>> new kernel as well.
>>
>> Akemi, is that an elrepo package .. and does it work with 6.6?
>
> Someone called my name ... :)
>
> Mark, first make sure you need the -304xx driver by running nvidia-detect:
>
> http://elrepo.org/tiki/nvidia-detect
>
> Once confirmed, you need to install the latest version of
> kmod-nvidia-304xx from the elrepo-testing repository on your 6.6 OS.
> Please see:
>
> http://elrepo.org/bugs/view.php?id=517
>
> They will eventually be moved to the elrepo main repository.
>
> Akemi

Akemi is correct. Users of kmod-nvidia-304xx will need to update to the
latest release (currently kmod-nvidia-304xx-304.123-3.el6.elrepo) at the
same time as updating to 6.6.

Please note, due to changes in the 6.6 kernel ABI, the original release
(304.123-1) is compatible with 6.5 but NOT 6.6, and latest release
(304.123-3) is compatible with 6.6 but NOT backwards compatible with
6.5. This means you MUST update  kmod-nvidia-304xx at the same time as
performing the 6.5 to 6.6 update / reboot if you want X to continue
working seamlessly.

The newer kmod-nvidia-304xx release(s) are in the elrepo-testing
repository, and are now also syncing to the main elrepo repository.

The current 340.xx driver is unaffected. The older 173.xx driver may
also be similarly affected but I have not tested it and have yet to
receive a bug report on it. If it is similarly broken I will fix it as
and when someone reports it and is able to test the fix.

Thanks.