[CentOS] Centos 7 RAID tutorial?

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Mon Sep 8 02:43:52 UTC 2014

On Sun, September 7, 2014 9:30 pm, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 9/7/2014 7:19 PM, Dave Stevens wrote:
>> I want to set up a new CentOS install using version 7 and would like
>> to experiment with various RAID levels. Anyone care to point out a
>> tutorial?
>
> how many drives do you have for this experiment?  whats the target
> usecase for the file systems on the raid(s)?   whats the level of data
> resiliance required by said use case?
>
> Raid only protects against one specific sort of failure, where an entire
> disk drive fails.   It doesn't protect against data corruption, or
> system failure,

Even more: system failure or power loss is more likely to destroy all data
on software RAID than on a single drive when there is a lot of IO present
(to the best of my understanding, loss of cache software RAID is using is
more catastrophic compared to journaled filesystem under same
circumstances - somebody may correct me). So, there may be worth thinking
about hardware RAID.

Just my 2c.

Valeri

> or software failure or any other catastrophes.
>

> --
> john r pierce                                      37N 122W
> somewhere on the middle of the left coast

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago
Phone: 773-702-4247