[CentOS] Install Centos 6 x86_64 on Dell PowerEdge 2970 and aSSD (hardware probing issues)

Valeri Galtsev

galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Sat Sep 6 20:53:35 UTC 2014

On Sat, September 6, 2014 2:16 pm, Keith Keller wrote:
> On 2014-09-06, Valeri Galtsev <galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu> wrote:
>> I get rackmount
>> ones assembled by small company (companies) and about 1/2 of cost of
>> similar hardware from Dell. Those are for the most part based on Tyan
>> barebones. And during last at least decade I never had a "must to" flash
>> newer BIOS situation with any of those boxes.
>
> You have been lucky, then.

... I've mentined manufacturers in another reply: tyan, lsi, 3ware, ati...

I agree that flashing the firmware should be
> a rare event, but expecting the rate to be exactly 0 is an unreasonable
> expectation.
>
> I have had to flash a BIOS once, and a BMC once, in about 10 years of
> buying server hardware.

Great, I'm happy to be on the same page with you!

(Yes, flashing a BMC probably wouldn't brick a
> box, but it'd brick getting a remote console, which for me is almost as
> serious.)  I consider that an acceptable bug rate.
>
> Flashing a RAID controller is actually more frightening

I meant raid controller off the shelf, before you start using it on the
new box you are building with newly released 3TB drives... I'm still on
the same page with you ;-)

Valeri

 to me--flashing
> the BIOS isn't likely to hose your data, but an undetected bad flash on
> a RAID controller could.  Sadly my flash rate of my controllers is
> slightly higher than my BIOS flash rate.
>
> --keith
>

> --
> kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us

Valeri Galtsev