[CentOS] Minimum RAM for CentOS7

Oliver Schad

centos at automatic-server.com
Sun Sep 7 18:31:10 UTC 2014

On Sun, 07 Sep 2014 11:08:18 -0700
Keith Keller <kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us> wrote:

> On 2014-09-07, Oliver Schad <centos at automatic-server.com> wrote:
> >
> > With 1 GB RAM everything runs fine. Don't know, what they do with
> > more than 512 MB RAM on a text only system during installation ...
>
> Could switch to a different console and bounce on top, if you're
> interested.
>
> 512MB seems really small these days, so I'm guessing you're using this
> as a small appliance box like a NAT router.

No, a basic box for common services like DHCP, DNS, SMTP, Nginx, ...
doesn't need much RAM, so 512 MB is really enough.

> Is there a reason you
> prefer CentOS over a distro targeted to your application?

I don't see a reason, why I should have a zoo of distros. A productive
basic installation of CentOS 7 needs ~ 100 MB RAM. Why the installation
needs more than 5 times that is really interesting question.

Best Regards
Oli