[CentOS] Apache wakes-up inactive Exim

Always Learning

centos at u62.u22.net
Mon Sep 29 19:23:53 UTC 2014

> >> Not exactly... Applications that pipe to the sendmail command line
> >> program to send messages go back to the dawn of email.   MTAs that
> >> replace the 'real' sendmail pretty much have to provide that
> >> functionality.
> >
> > Yes I did learn something new.
>
> Just new to you...

No. Not only to me but also new to others who, like me, never knew.
Learning is a continuous process :-)

> If you really want to appreciate the concepts, you should find a unix
> manual from the days before X was included.   Back then there were 5
> sections where 1 covered the command line programs, 2 covered system
> calls, 3 the standard C library, etc.   It was small enough that you
> could read and mostly memorize it, especially section 1, in a few
> days.  The thing to appreciate is that 30+ years later, even in cloned
> versions, those things were designed well enough that pretty much
> everything in there still continues to work.

Design is so important. Get it really right the first time and vast
amounts of time and effort are saved. If I ever encounter a Unix book or
manual, I'll certainly keep it to read.

Thank you.

Paul.
England, EU.