[CentOS] Upgrade from CentOS 6.x to 7

Wed Sep 10 18:45:48 UTC 2014
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 1:24 PM, Pete Geenhuizen <pete at geenhuizen.net> wrote:
> I just ran the pre-upgrade, and it said that I couldn't do an in place
> upgrade for the following reason:
>
> "/usr directory is on separate partition. In-place Upgrade is NOT possible."
>
> Well that was news to me because I never separate /usr, so what is going on?
> It apparently turns out that /usr/local is on a separate partition and the
> software isn't smart enough to realize that there's a big difference between
> /usr and /usr/local, so I'm guessing that that is the reason.
>
> I sure do hate software that makes lame or at worst incorrect assumptions,
> almost as bad as when you change a config file and comment out the default
> line and add you duplicate the line with changes, and the software is too
> dumb to realize what you did.

You should be able to just unmount /usr/local and take it out of fstab
for the duration of the upgrade then put it back and fix the contents
later.   But, that sort of thing makes a bare-metal reinstall sound
even more sensible since it shows how many options there are and how
many they may not have considered.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com