[CentOS] Centos 7 RAID tutorial?

Wed Sep 10 23:27:52 UTC 2014
Scott Robbins <scottro at nyc.rr.com>

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 01:00:02AM +0200, Sven Kieske wrote:

> On 11.09.2014 00:45, Dave Stevens wrote:
> > Dear All,
> >
> > This list reminds me of the wizards in the Terry Pratchett novels
> > - confronted with a need to take action they would by far rather
> > discuss all possibilities, however remote, than address the need in
> > a simple way, after all  they're WIZARDS.
> >
> > The discussion has been pretty interesting, I've figured out what
> > I wanted to know through other means.
> >
> > Thanks for the perspectives.
> >
> > Dave
> I am under the same sad (and a little funny) impression.
>
> But for people who may have the same problem I guess
> here is a good answer, obvious somehow, but hey, nobody gave it
> until now:
>
> Just follow upstream documentation:
>
> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/Storage_Administration_Guide/ch-raid.html

Page one. Define RAID.  Page 2, who should use it.  Configuring Raid (after
a few more wasted pages).  Read the man page.  It seems too sparse for a
beginner and, with such sparseness, not much use to an experienced admin.

I can't see that being very useful to someone with little or no RAID
experience.   (And actually, it's so sparse that the experienced won't need
the little bit of suggestion it gives.)

In contrast, the CentOS wiki article, if running CentOS 5 or
6, gives an easy to follow guide, complete with commands one might actually
type.  (At least some of the instructions don't seem to work with CentOS 7
though)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6