[CentOS] Spacewalk? Local repo? Cache?

Mon Sep 29 22:27:41 UTC 2014
Peter Brady <subscriptions at simonplace.net>

On 30/09/2014 7:26 am, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 3:53 PM, Peter Brady
> <subscriptions at simonplace.net> wrote:
>>> > >
>> > I also mirror EPEL.  And publish it via SpaceWalk for all the same reasons.
> How big is EPEL?

My current EPEL mirror is 115GB.  I mirror that from a local Australian
mirror (AARNET) so I'm a little behind in time but my ISP gives me free
volume to AARNET.

> And when you mirror with SpaceWalk does it preserve
> old version so you'd have the possibility to downgrade after a change?

Yes.  To confirm in my EPEL 6 x86_64 channel I have, for example, clamav
versions from clamav-0.97.8-1.el6.x86_64 to clamav-0.98.4-1.el6.x86_64.

Interestingly SpaceWalk is quite an efficient store.  For example:

/var/satellite: 135GB

where spacewalk stores all its packages for every channel.  Verses the
raw, rsynced mirrors:

du -sch centos epel rpmforge spacewalk
116G	centos
115G	epel
53G	rpmforge
5.6G	spacewalk
289G	total

I suspect that there are a lot of duplicates in the mirrors that
spacewalk is smart enough to link to rather than copy.  For example
noarch rpms that appear in multiple channels.  Also, those mirrors
include the DVD isos, which are not in spacewalk.

To save space on the raw mirror I have rsync set to delete after the
package is removed from upstream but I don't automatically delete from
spacewalk.  There are third party perl scripts to do this but I have
lots of disk space on that server so have not bothered yet

Cheers
-pete

--
Peter Brady