[CentOS] "power outage"-save / like embedded systems

Tue Sep 30 18:38:13 UTC 2014

John R Pierce wrote:
> On 9/30/2014 11:22 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> The SmartUPS are... but then, overwhelmingly, mine are rackmount. I have
>> mentioned here, before, though, that at least with the SmartUPS, you can
>> easily, and far less expensively, buy replacement batteries, but they
>> *MUST*  be HR (high rate) batteries; anything else, and the SmartUPS
>> don't believe they've been replaced correctly.
>
> quality VRLA (SLA, AGM) batteries are capable of delivering massive
> current loads, I've not had any problems using these on good UPSs.    At
> home, i've got an /ancient/ SmartUPS2000 (2KVA) tower unit that I
> repopulated with Panasonic 12V 20AH 'motorcycle' batteries.    its been
> running great now for nearly 10 years, and STILL can keep my entire home
> computer load going for 4+ hours in a failure.    These batteries are
> WAY past the 'normal' end of life, but are still doing very strong.   I
> even put a safety light on them, a floor lamp with a 7W LED bulb bounced
> off the ceiling, thats left always-on, as this room is quite dark.

Right... at home. I'm running mostly SmartUPS 3000s, rack mount, that take
eight batteries (which I can buy for about $100), or I could buy a new
set, with sled, for way over $300.... The HRs should work in anything...
but I've got some of the 3000's that peak at over 90% usage (say, 3
64-core servers running flat out with a load over 70), and these batteries
allege, at that kind of load, < 15 min, maybe < 7. With the daily (or
twice daily - wonderful line we have here at a huge, major US gov't agency
in the DC 'burbs), it's fine, and they don't notice the second or two
blips.

        mark