[CentOS] [CentOS-announce] Release for CentOS Linux 7 (1503 ) on x86_64

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Fri Apr 3 15:23:53 UTC 2015

On 04/02/2015 07:00 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> stretching this a bit futher : lets see if we can find 10 people who
> might be considered 'community beacons', who could / would act as
> commnuity comms and liason to make sure we are driving in the right
> directions and communicating things in the most impactful manner. ...
> thoughts ?
I really think that if someone is actually interested in helping the
project, rather than being a backseat driver and griping at every change
from the Steeped Tradition of the Unix Protectors - In Training , a
division of the National Organization of Whiners (STUP-IT / NOW)
standards, that someone should be willing to take the initiative to
follow the -devel list.   (Yes, that contrived acronym is
tongue-in-cheek and meant as a joke to lighten things up a bit.... no
offense to any particular person intended; please take a good laugh,
smile, and enjoy your Friday!)

I am as pressed for time as anyone else on this list; I especially feel
Matt Phelps' pain, as part of an educational institution where funding
and staffing is never enough.  But there has to be a bar to meet so that
feedback given is useful and not trollish.

I would suggest that a periodic informational FAQ be added to the
monthly mailman reminders for the CentOS lists that can give a pointer
to those who would like to give feedback, or help out, or otherwise do
something to benefit the project as a whole.

I would also suggest that changes to the distribution that directly
affect users and users' expectations be more widely announced, and
something like a request for comment be made for the proposed change,
with replies to be sent to the -devel list.   While I consider the very
specific issue of the ISO naming  to be a tempest in a teacup, I also
appreciate the fact that mine is not the only opinion.

But I believe that we would experience heavy turnover in such a
go-between position as you describe.