[CentOS] Related to the new laptop question: CentOS on a netbook?

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Wed Apr 15 20:35:20 UTC 2015

John R Pierce wrote:
> On 4/15/2015 12:55 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> I've got a netbook, circe 2009. When I got it, not that I was wild about
>> ubuntu, but there was specifically an ubuntu netbook remix. Well, it's a
>> few years later - has anyone put CentOS (6, preferably) on a netbook,
>> and were there any problems?
>
> 'netbook' is a mostly obsolete category, they were just low power
> 1st/2nd generation Atom 10" notebooks with 1024x600 screens and 1-2GB
> max ram, painfully slow.    They've been largely superseded by the
> Ultrabook category of 13" ultra-slim ultra-light notebooks.

Right. And it serves me perfectly well when I'm travelling, for email and
websurfing. Why is it that I should go out to spend $$$$ on a larger,
ultralight notebook, before this one dies? It does *everything* I want
from it... and it cost me something like $40 (never before in my life had
I heard of a phone company giving out promotional items....)

> I'd expect the only major compatibility issue with any of these would be
> the wifi adapter.   Most of these small format consumer machines don't
> even have an ethernet port.   Otherwise, they are pretty much bog stock
> Intel based architecture machines, using Intel integral graphics on the
> newer Core i3 Mobile processors.

Original HP, and yes, it has an RJ45 as well as wifi. Sounds like I should
follow the other thread's suggestion, and build a liveCD on a flash drive,
and boot from there. I was just wondering if someone else had done this.

     mark