[CentOS] MATE power save and dpms

Tue Apr 21 15:00:50 UTC 2015
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

So, I am using MATE from EPEL as my desktop on one of my laptops.

The screen saver was working, however the monitors (if connected via a
docking station) were not going to sleep even if selected via the GUI
mate power manager.

I then discovered that dpms has to be initialized via the command line
before it becomes available, regardless of the GUI mate power manager
setting.

This documentation for Fedora has the detailed info:

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/19/pdf/Power_Management_Guide/Fedora-19-Power_Management_Guide-en-US.pdf

(see page 37 in the document index ... or page 45 of 52 in the pdf reader)

But basically, I needed to do this to turn on DPMS  to happen at the 10
minute point:

xset +dpms; xset dpms 0 0 600

I figured I can't be the only one who had this problem .. so I thought I
would post it here.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes