[CentOS] Community voice (was [CentOS-announce] Release for CentOS Linux 7 (1503 ) on x86_64)

Fri Apr 3 14:42:11 UTC 2015
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On 04/03/2015 10:31 AM, Phelps, Matthew wrote:
> I agree with Tim. CentOS does need to do a much better job communicating
> with their customers. And, yes, we are customers.

No, we are not customers in the strict sense, as that implies a purchase
or some other consideration is given for a product.  Users, yes.
Customers, no.  Community members?  Perhaps.  Licensees?  Yes, and all
of the responsibilities of agreeing to the GPLv2 for the distribution as
a whole apply.

> Along with that, the
> "public facing" members of the Community/developers need to be better
> communicators. Statements like "This is how it's going to be. I suggest you
> familiarize yourself with it" aren't endearing to the project.

 From where I sit, I have seen much improvement in the project's
communications as well as in how well the project leads communicate.  Do
we need reminders of the situation between the releases of 4.10, 5.6,
and 6.0?  Perhaps there can be more improvement, but I'm also going to
be sure to state that the improvements that have already been made are
very welcome.