[CentOS] Community voice (was [CentOS-announce] Release for CentOS Linux 7 (1503 ) on x86_64)

Fri Apr 3 15:07:07 UTC 2015

On Fri, April 3, 2015 9:31 am, Phelps, Matthew wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 2:19 AM, Tim Bell <Tim.Bell at cern.ch> wrote:

Fully agree. Let me add just general thing what I came to, which may help
some of the users and maybe the developer team in their view of changes
they think to implement.

When I start feeling particular distribution does not fill the bill of
requirements, I (realizing I will not be able to affect its future route)
just start looking for different distribution which is more suitable and
will not deflect from being such for some future to come. This happen to
my servers which fled to FreeBSD (sorry about mentioning it). My number
crunchers and clusters do not have that luxury to be able to flee Linux
(there are too many thing they need to run which are available for Linux
only). Therefore, the future process of fleeing these (if necessary) will
be inside Linux subset of distros, again, when/if it is necessary (CentOS
7 made it solid "when"). So it likely will be Devuan (systemd-free fork of
Debian) when (if?) it matures enough - some time down the road.

I wrote this not to annoy anyone, but to give those at the "strategic
decision" level the picture of what evolution you can expect from regular
sysadmin. In other words, once you have become extremely popular
distribution (to the level you even provide paid jobs), if you started
making changes to what you are as a distribution, changes of a kind that
some commercial company can make more profit as a result, what I described
will start happening. Great company, BTW, RedHat is! I use CentOS by
keeping in mind that my University has RedHat contract, so they (RH) are
getting paid for the great job they are doing. But I use CentOS as it is
great distribution for which everything is readily accessible for me (no
"pilot" server hassle...), say, in case of emergency if I just need to get
packages, and there is no server (which may have downtime) is between me
and what I need.

Not meant to be a rant, but meant to give the "strategic decision makers"
a view of what on a regular sysadmin level they can expect.

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago