[CentOS] systemctl (again)

Fri Apr 3 17:05:42 UTC 2015
J Martin Rushton <martinrushton56 at btinternet.com>

Inline

On 03/04/15 08:42, James Hogarth wrote:
> On 2 Apr 2015 23:40, "J Martin Rushton"
> <martinrushton56 at btinternet.com> wrote:

>> SELinux certainly was causing fun and games.  I copied your
>> suggestion to /etc/systemd/user/timidity.service (mode 750) but
>> it's still not happy:
>>
>> [root at tamar user]# systemctl status timidity timidity.service
>> Loaded: not-found (Reason: No such file or directory) Active:
>> failed (Result: exit-code) since Th...
>>
>> ... Starting LSB: Add and remove timidity... ...
>> timidity.service: control process exited, code=exited
> status=203
>> ... Failed to start LSB: Add and remove timidity. ... Unit
>> timidity.service entered failed state. ... Stopped
>> timidity.service.
>>
>> I've wasted way too much time on this, I've put it in my
>> .profile. The weirdness of systemctl will have to wait!

Sorry if that sounded more brusque than it should.  I've got a filthy
cold, it was 20 to midnight and I've been chasing this problem for a
couple of days.  Frustration is directed at the implementers, not
those tying to help.

>> Thanks all
>>

> For the record based on your email chain this issue has little to
> nothing to do with systemd or systemctl but rather a poor script
> for some reason that I haven't troubleshooted in detail.

The script was a minor alteration to an existing RH supplied script,
probably originally from 5.3.  Poor standard noted with amusement!

> Remember you should never call /etc/init.d/script even on el6 as
> your environment and profile will pollute the scripts environment
> leading to inconsistent behaviour.

I tried using the service mechanism, just as for the last 16 years,
but it continued to fail, apparently stripping off the -iAD, which is
rather critical; -iA sets up an ALSA interface and the D modifier
tells it to daemonise, without them it tries to run in the foreground.
 directly executing is debugging mode, until it starts to work and
then you can look for differences.  Mind you, making any significant
changes to root's environment and profile would be asking for trouble
IMHO.

> From the above it's clear after putting in place the service unit
> you did not do systemctl daemon-reload to pick up the new unit -
> hence the clear error Not Found.

Nope, wasn't aware that I had to.  You don't need to do any such thing
with init scripts. :-o

Anyhow, as I said, thanks for the input, but I moved it to my .profile
so that I can get on with something useful.  I'm sure in time I'll
wade through the manuals and adapt, but I was just trying to be
positive and adapt to the new regime.  My error!

Since you appear to be a systemd guru, is there any easy way to spin
off a system session that could call in simple init-type scripts?
Just an ability to execute a simple script at system startup would be
helpful.  I (and I would guess many others) would find it a useful
transition.  Don't worry about how to code up the driver, it's trivial.

Thanks.