[CentOS] The future of centos

Sat Apr 4 01:27:53 UTC 2015
Digimer <lists at alteeve.ca>

On 03/04/15 09:01 PM, Francis Gerund wrote:
> Almost everyone here has probably read this by now. If so, move along,
> nothing new here.  But just in case you haven't, please take the time to
> read this.
>
> Here it is, in their own words:  what Redhat thinks of Centos, and it's
> plans for the future of Centos.
>
> Can you read between the lines?  In this case, it isn't very hard to do,
> IMHO.
>
> community.redhat.com/centos-faq

How about you elaborate on your theory?

Publicly, and I believe honestly, Red Hat wanted to ensure the long-term
health of the CentOS project. Many companies, when starting out, use
CentOS because of it's enterprise lineage and free-as-in-beer cost.

Eventually, some of those companies will succeed and grow. Along the
line, they will realize the value and ROI of switching to full
enterprise support. Being on CentOS, it is then trivial for these
companies to switch the RHEL proper.

There is no grand conspiracy here. It is very much in Red Hat's
interests to keep CentOS healthy and thriving. Will CentOS change over
time? Yes, of course. Every project, company (and people) need to change
and adapt, or else they will fade into irrelevance.

--
Digimer
access to education?