[CentOS] CentOS 5 grub boot problem

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 19:56:06 UTC 2015

On 08/05/2015 08:12 AM, Bowie Bailey wrote:

> This is an old system with only IDE ports.  There is an added
> Highpoint raid card which is used only for the two extra IDE ports.

Why "extra"?  Are there drives connected to this system other than the
two you're discussing for the software RAID sets?

I know you said that you can't take the system down for an extended
period of time.  Do you have enough time to connect the two 1TB drives
and nothing else, and do a new install?  It would be useful to know if
such an install booted, to exclude the possibility that there's some
fundamental incompatibility between some combination of the BIOS, the
Highpoint boot ROM, and the 1TB drives.

If it doesn't boot, you have the option of putting the bootloader,
kernel, and initrd on some other media.  You could boot from an optical
disc, or a USB drive, or CF.