[CentOS] CentOS 5 grub boot problem

Bowie Bailey Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com
Thu Aug 6 20:08:27 UTC 2015

On 8/6/2015 3:56 PM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> On 08/05/2015 08:12 AM, Bowie Bailey wrote:
>>
>> This is an old system with only IDE ports.  There is an added
>> Highpoint raid card which is used only for the two extra IDE ports.
>
> Why "extra"?  Are there drives connected to this system other than the
> two you're discussing for the software RAID sets?
>
> I know you said that you can't take the system down for an extended
> period of time.  Do you have enough time to connect the two 1TB drives
> and nothing else, and do a new install?  It would be useful to know if
> such an install booted, to exclude the possibility that there's some
> fundamental incompatibility between some combination of the BIOS, the
> Highpoint boot ROM, and the 1TB drives.
>
> If it doesn't boot, you have the option of putting the bootloader,
> kernel, and initrd on some other media.  You could boot from an
> optical disc, or a USB drive, or CF.

To be honest, I don't remember why the Highpoint card was used.  It
could be that I had originally intended to use the raid capabilities of
the card, or maybe I just didn't want the two members of the mirror to
be master/slave on the same IDE channel.

Doing a new install on the two 1TB drives is my current plan.  If that
works, I can connect the old drive, copy over all the data, and then try
to figure out what I need to do to get all the programs running again.

--
Bowie