[CentOS] Update from 6.6 to 6.7 > automount logs error message

Michael Sanderson sanders at cs.ubc.ca
Wed Aug 19 21:26:36 UTC 2015

Phelps, Matthew <mphelps at ...> writes:

> On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 10:55 AM, Ralf Aumüller <
> Ralf.Aumueller <at> informatik.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > after an update from 6.6 to 6.7 the following error message is logged to
> > /var/log/messages when I login (per ssh):
> >
> > Aug 11 16:31:21 a1234 automount[1598]: set_tsd_user_vars: failed to get
> > passwd
> > info from getpwuid_r
> >
> > Checked all log-files of my systems running 6.6 with same configuration --
> > never
> > got such a message (We use NFS/autofs for home-directories, NIS and tcsh
> > (login
> > shell)).
> >
> > Everything seems to work -- but before I update all machines to 6.7 I want
> > know whats going on.
> >
> > Any comments?
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Ralf
> >

> I am seeing the same issue.
>
> Any ideas anyone?

Matthew and Ralf, we were also seeing this.  We do variable substitution for
some of our mounts (mount server:/export/$OSNAME-$OSREL-$CPU/ on the local
machine).  In our case, server:/export/$OSNAME-$OSREL-$CPU didn't exist.
Once we created it and the mount succeeded, the set_tsd_user_vars errors
went away.  (At least they have for the past 30 minutes, when we had been
seeing them usually every minute or two and no more than every 10 minutes.)
 YMMV.

     Michael Sanderson
     Manager, Computing Facilities
     UBC Computer Science