[CentOS] CentOS 5 grub boot problem

Wed Aug 5 15:58:17 UTC 2015
Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com>

On 8/5/2015 11:27 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Bowie Bailey wrote:
>> I am trying to upgrade my system from 500GB drives to 1TB.  I was able
>> to partition and sync the raid devices, but I cannot get the new drive
>> to boot.
>>
>> This is an old system with only IDE ports.  There is an added Highpoint
>> raid card which is used only for the two extra IDE ports. I have
>> upgraded it with a 1TB SATA drive and an IDE-SATA adapter.  I did not
>> have any problems with the system recognizing the drive or adding it to
>> the mdraid.  A short SMART test shows no errors.
> <snip>
> Trying to get your configuration clear in my mind - the drives are 1TB
> IDE, and they're attached to the m/b, or to the Hpt RAID card?
>
> Also, did you update the system? New kernel? If so, is the RAID card
> recognized (we've got a Hpt RocketRaid card in a CentOS 6 system, and
> we're *finally* replacing it with an LSI (once it comes in), because Hpt
> does not care about old cards, and I had to find the source code, and then
> hack it to compile it for the new kernel, and have had to recompile for
> the new kernels we've installed....

It was originally a pair of 500GB IDE drives in an mdraid mirror
configuration.  Right now, I have removed one 500GB drive and replaced
it with a 1TB SATA drive with an IDE-SATA adapter.  Both drives are
connected to the Highpoint card and apparently working fine other than
the boot-up problem.

I was considering adding an SATA card to the system, but I didn't want
to deal with finding drivers for a card old enough to work with this
system (32-bit PCI).

I have not done any updates to the system in quite some time.

--
Bowie