[CentOS] CentOS 5 grub boot problem

Wed Aug 5 16:26:59 UTC 2015
Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com>

On 8/5/2015 11:52 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> Bowie Bailey wrote:
>>> I am trying to upgrade my system from 500GB drives to 1TB.  I was able
>>> to partition and sync the raid devices, but I cannot get the new drive
>>> to boot.
>>>
>>> This is an old system with only IDE ports.  There is an added Highpoint
>>> raid card which is used only for the two extra IDE ports. I have
>>> upgraded it with a 1TB SATA drive and an IDE-SATA adapter.  I did not
>>> have any problems with the system recognizing the drive or adding it to
>>> the mdraid.  A short SMART test shows no errors.
>> <snip>
>> Trying to get your configuration clear in my mind - the drives are 1TB
>> IDE, and they're attached to the m/b, or to the Hpt RAID card?
>>
>> Also, did you update the system? New kernel? If so, is the RAID card
>> recognized (we've got a Hpt RocketRaid card in a CentOS 6 system, and
>> we're *finally* replacing it with an LSI (once it comes in), because Hpt
>> does not care about old cards, and I had to find the source code, and then
>> hack it to compile it for the new kernel, and have had to recompile for
>> the new kernels we've installed....
>>
> To follow myself up, I forgot one thing I'd intended to ask: is it
> possible that you needed to rebuild the initrd?

It's possible, but why would that be the case?  The only thing that has
changed from the OS point of view is the partition size on one of the
drives.  The filesystems are still the same.

Also, as I said, it doesn't even get as far as attempting to boot
Linux.  It fails immediately after the "GRUB Loading stage 1.5" line, so
it seems like a grub issue of some sort.

--
Bowie