[CentOS] C6.7 evolution to cyrus imap(s) fails

Wed Aug 12 10:14:29 UTC 2015
Dr J Austin <ja at maui.jaa.org.uk>

On Tue, 11 Aug 2015, Dr J Austin wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Aug 2015, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
>
>> Am 11.08.2015 um 22:28 schrieb Dr J Austin:
>>>
>>> Hi Alexander
>>>
>>> [root at maui:/var/log]$ watch 'tail -n40 maillog
>>>
>>> does not quiver when I try to connect
>>
>> That's suspicious.
>>
>> Let's exclude it is the client which causes the problem: Connect directly
>> to the IMAPS server on CLI.
>>
>> openssl s_client -connect <server ip>:993
>>
>> You hopefully see a greeting message from the IMAP server. Then issue
>>
>> a1 LOGIN username password
>>
>> If you see a success message that you logged in, then everything is fine
>> with your cyrus-imapd.
>>
>> Logout by entering
>>
>> a2 LOGOUT
>>
>> If you got that far, the troublemaker is Evolution. Can't help you with
>> that one as I am not using it. Validate all the account settings to be
>> valid.
>>
>>> In coming mail can be seen but nothing about evo connections as far as I
>>> can see
>>>
>>> There do seem to be some warnings/errors - they don't look relavant??
>>
>> Right, irrelevant for your isse.
>>
>>> Many thanks for your help
>>>
>>> John
>>>

>> You really should see your user login in this log file.
>>
>> Alexander
>>

> Hmmm
>
> Summary
> On the server maui itself
> Failure when using IP address but works with name maui for root and fred
>
> On a separate machine paxos
> Failure for both IP address and name maui and maui.jaa.org.uk
> for both root and ja
>
> However the error messages are different between maui and paxos
>
> John

> As user fred on the server maui itself
> [fred at maui ~]$ openssl s_client -connect 148.197.29.5:993
> socket: Connection refused
> connect:errno=111
>
> As root on the server maui itself
> [root at maui:/var/log]$ openssl s_client -connect 148.197.29.5:993
> socket: Connection refused
> connect:errno=111
> As root on maui using "name"
> [root at maui:/var/log]$ openssl s_client -connect maui:993
> CONNECTED(00000003)
> depth=0 C = UK, ST = Hampshire, L = Fareham, CN = maui.jaa.org.uk,
> emailAddress = ja at jaa.org.uk
> verify error:num=18:self signed certificate
> verify return:1
> depth=0 C = UK, ST = Hampshire, L = Fareham, CN = maui.jaa.org.uk,
> emailAddress = ja at jaa.org.uk
> verify return:1
> ---
> Certificate chain
> 0
> s:/C=UK/ST=Hampshire/L=Fareham/CN=maui.jaa.org.uk/emailAddress=ja at jaa.org.uk
>
> i:/C=UK/ST=Hampshire/L=Fareham/CN=maui.jaa.org.uk/emailAddress=ja at jaa.org.uk
> ---
> Server certificate
> * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ ID AUTH=PLAIN SASL-IR
> [...]

A little more info about  using s_client on paxos to connect to maui

openssl s_client -connect maui.jaa.org.uk:993

Wireshark shows just one packet each way (to/from port 993)
A request for connection from paxos to maui and a reset from maui to paxos

[Expert Info (Chat/sequence): Connection establish request (SYN): server
port 993]
[Severity level: Chat]
[Group: sequence]

(RST, ACK)
[Expert Info (Warn/sequence): Connection reset (RST]
[Connection reset (RST)]
[Severity level: Warn]
[Group: Sequence]

John