[CentOS] C6.7 evolution to cyrus imap(s) fails

Wed Aug 12 11:52:13 UTC 2015
Richard <lists-centos at listmail.innovate.net>

> Date: Wednesday, August 12, 2015 11:14:29 +0100
> From: Dr J Austin <ja at maui.jaa.org.uk>
>

> On Tue, 11 Aug 2015, Dr J Austin wrote:

>>> That's suspicious.
>>>
>>> Let's exclude it is the client which causes the problem: Connect
>>> directly  to the IMAPS server on CLI.
>>>
>>> openssl s_client -connect <server ip>:993
>>>
>>> You hopefully see a greeting message from the IMAP server. Then
>>> issue
>>>
>>> a1 LOGIN username password
>>>
>>> If you see a success message that you logged in, then everything
>>> is fine  with your cyrus-imapd.
>>>
>>> Logout by entering
>>>
>>> a2 LOGOUT
>>>
>>> If you got that far, the troublemaker is Evolution. Can't help
>>> you with  that one as I am not using it. Validate all the
>>> account settings to be  valid.

>>> Right, irrelevant for your isse.

>>> You really should see your user login in this log file.
>>>
>>> Alexander
>>>

>> Hmmm
>>
>> Summary
>> On the server maui itself
>> Failure when using IP address but works with name maui for root
>> and fred
>>
>> On a separate machine paxos
>> Failure for both IP address and name maui and maui.jaa.org.uk
>> for both root and ja
>>
>> However the error messages are different between maui and paxos
>>
>> John

>> -------- As user fred on the server maui itself
>> [fred at maui ~]$ openssl s_client -connect 148.197.29.5:993
>> socket: Connection refused
>> connect:errno=111
>>
>> As root on the server maui itself
>> [root at maui:/var/log]$ openssl s_client -connect 148.197.29.5:993
>> socket: Connection refused
>> connect:errno=111
>> ------- As root on maui using "name"
>> [root at maui:/var/log]$ openssl s_client -connect maui:993
>> CONNECTED(00000003)
>> depth=0 C = UK, ST = Hampshire, L = Fareham, CN =
>> maui.jaa.org.uk,  emailAddress = ja at jaa.org.uk
>> verify error:num=18:self signed certificate
>> verify return:1
>> depth=0 C = UK, ST = Hampshire, L = Fareham, CN =
>> maui.jaa.org.uk,  emailAddress = ja at jaa.org.uk
>> verify return:1
>> ---
>> Certificate chain
>> 0
>> s:/C=UK/ST=Hampshire/L=Fareham/CN=maui.jaa.org.uk/emailAddress=ja
>> @jaa.org.uk
>>
>> i:/C=UK/ST=Hampshire/L=Fareham/CN=maui.jaa.org.uk/emailAddress=ja
>> @jaa.org.uk ---
>> Server certificate
>> * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ ID AUTH=PLAIN SASL-IR
>> COMPRESS=DEFLATE] maui.jaa.org.uk Cyrus IMAP
>> v2.3.16-Fedora-RPM-2.3.16-13.el6_6 server ready
>> a1 LOGIN username password
>> al OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ ID LOGINDISABLED
>> AUTH=PLAIN  COMPRESS=DEFLATE ACL RIGHTS=kxte QUOTA
>> MAILBOX-REFERRALS NAMESPACE UIDPLUS  NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT
>> CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND BINARY SORT SORT=MODSEQ
> [...]

I don't think that wireshark adds much to this. Unless you had a
proxy in the middle, the "connection refused" responses already
indicated that your connections were getting to the/a server, it's
just refusing the connections.

Connections by name, especially short forms, are suspect unless you
can be very certain of how they are being resolved (i.e., what
IPnumber you end up trying to connect to). There is no reason that
using root to connect to port 993 would work when a normal user
doesn't. An IMAP server either accepts the initial connection from a
machine or not - it doesn't know or care what type of user is
originating the connection.

You may want to look into what you were able to connect to via:

   openssl s_client -connect maui:993

I'd start by looking up what "maui" resolves to.

I just looked up maui.jaa.org.uk. It (currently) resolves to
213.152.52.233, not the 148.197 you seemed to be using above. I
realize you may have some form of dynamic dns going here, but
thought I'd mention it.

Could you try (as root) two slightly different version of my earlier
netstat commands:

    netstat -pnlA inet | egrep ':993|:143'

    netstat -pnlA inet6 | egrep ':993|:143'

the addition of "A inet/inet6" will show whether it is listening via
ipv4 (inet) or ipv6 (inet6) on the imap ports.