[CentOS] smartctl of usb backup drive

Tue Aug 25 15:14:47 UTC 2015

On a headless C7 server (actually a pogoplug with the Redsleeve 7
distro), I have a usb attached backup drive (what other type of drives
can you have on a pogoplug other than usb? :) ).

I had reformated the partition as ext4:

# parted /dev/sdb print
Model: WD My Book 1230 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 3001GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 4096B/4096B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags:

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
  1      1049kB  3001GB  3001GB  primary

So I tried smartctl:

#smartctl -a /dev/sdb
smartctl 6.2 2013-07-26 r3841
[armv5tel-linux-3.8.7-201.fc18.armv5tel.kirkwood] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-13, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

/dev/sdb: Unknown USB bridge [0x1058:0x1230 (0x1065)]
Please specify device type with the -d option.

I looked at the manpage and I don't know how to figure out what usb
bridge to specify.

BTW, if anyone has an old pogoplug sitting around, I am putting together
my cookbook on how to gain control of it and put a c7 build on it.  I
plan on having it part of a sernet AD domain as the backup file server
(2.5W for the pogo and 4-7W for the drive).