[CentOS] KDE Dying Overnight After Centos 7 Upgrade

Wed Dec 16 22:45:52 UTC 2015
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 12/16/2015 03:53 PM, pro alias wrote:
> On two blades both with Atom Processors but different Graphics chips (a
> Matrox WPCM450 on one, Intel 82945Gon the other). One machine had distorted
> video and required logging out of KDE and then back again. The other one
> had no video and required ssh from another box to restart X remotely (which
> I  didn't think I should be able to do).
>
> Does anyone else see problems with KDE ( or X) after the upgrade? I'm not
> getting any obvious error messages, but  my gut level says it is a problem
> with X rather than KDE. I haven't had the time to troubleshoot this
> properly, but when (if) it happens tomorrow I will see what I can find.

This update set (if you were not using the CR repo before) performed an
upgrade from CentOS-7.1.1503 to CentOS-7.2.1511 .. which included a
rebase of KDE from 4.10 to 4.14 and Xorg from 1.15 to 1.17 .. it also
included a kernel upgrade which requires a reboot.

Restarting X would definitely be required.

So, if after the restart things are working then that is to be expected.

I would reboot after the major update if at all possible.

Thanks
Johnny Hughes