[CentOS] wifi on servers and fedora [was Re: 7.2 kernel panic on boot]

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Wed Dec 9 21:07:13 UTC 2015

On 12/09/2015 11:45 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> I'm sure it's *far* too much work for, say, the fedora development team to
> put out once a quarter a notice to upstream, and maybe CentOS, Scientific
> Linux, and whatever other main user groups to inform them of major
> changes, and see the feedback....
Someone just needs to spend the time to do it.  So who is that someone?
The Fedora team already has their hands full; or is the Fedora team
supposed to allocate already scarce volunteer resources to handle the
needs of CentOS users?  (Red Hat likely already has one or more liaisons
of this sort with the needs of Red Hat's customers in mind).

No, it seems to me that a suitably motivated CentOS user needs to
scratch this itch; and, no, I am not volunteering, as I've followed
Fedora before......and just simply cannot give the time to it at this
point in time in my life.

So I shouldn't really complain, either, when a feature I use was removed
way back then or a feature I would never use was added way back then,
when I am getting many thousands of man-hours worth of work for free.
If I want the right to complain, I need to ante up, either with money
(and I did purchase and do annually renew my RHEL subscription) or with
time (and I have done that, too, both as a Red Hat beta tester (prior to
the Enterprise Linux / Fedora Core 'split') and by maintaining the
PostgreSQL RPMs as a volunteer for five years, which is a far costlier
thing to do!).  IMHO, of course.

So who wants to be the CentOS-Users to Fedora liaison, likely to be one
of the most thankless jobs on the planet?