[CentOS] Upgrade from CentOS6.6 to CentOS 7

Alice Wonder alice at domblogger.net
Tue Dec 15 19:08:19 UTC 2015

On 12/15/2015 09:52 AM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
*snip*

> I don't know what keeps you from doing a clean install.  Anything I can
> imagine that might convince you that this is a good idea, makes this a
> really bad idea.  If you don't have backups, this is an extremely bad
> idea.  If you're trying to minimize down time or work, this is an
> extremely bad idea.

I have to echo this. One of the reasons I stopped using Fedora is
because clean installs really are the best way, even with Fedora where
there was FedUp and related attempts, it always resulted for me in the
new install being somewhat dirty and non-optimal.

With CentOS if you use the most recent version with your initial
install, you have at least 5 years before you need to do it again.

And when you do need to do it again, you have time to learn the new
system and then migrate intelligently.

If there is a version of software you need that is in CentOS 7 and not
in CentOS 6, often you can rebuild the src.rpm and upgrade just that
package (though sometimes it requires some spec file modifications)

I even do that with CentOS 7 where I build the latest GStreamer and
replace the stock GStreamer1 packages.

But I wouldn't try a dist upgrade, that breaks things even on distros
that allegedly support it. In my experience.