[CentOS] 7.2 kernel panic on boot

Fri Dec 4 13:02:28 UTC 2015
mark <m.roth at 5-cent.us>

On 12/03/15 20:54, Jonathan Billings wrote:
> On Dec 3, 2015, at 2:33 PM, Valeri Galtsev <galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu>
> wrote:
>> That is my main complaint about parallelized boot. My brain is only
>> capable to deal with serial sequence of events, and which next event is
>> deterministically predictable from previous. As with fatal things like
>> kernel panic, it is the previous before the fatalstep is the one that
>> you still can see...
>
> This has nothing to do with systemd or a parallelized boot.  The kernel
> panic is happening during the initial load of the kernel and initialization
> of hardware.
>
> I know you love to blame every problem on systemd, but c’mon, this problem
> is going to happen with *EVERY* init system.

No, *you* don't understand what we're saying: pre-systemd, if the o/p saw that
one stmt before the panic, they could look at what the system was doing
*sequentially*, and so have an idea what it was failing on. With systemd's
parallelism, we have no clue, other than what it's done, and no idea what's
happening that's failing.

	mark