[CentOS] CentOS and typical usage

Sun Dec 13 20:45:42 UTC 2015

On Sun, December 13, 2015 11:36 am, Alice Wonder wrote:

> On 12/13/2015 08:39 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> Alice Wonder wrote:
>>> One of the benefits of systemd is the dependency based parallel
startup.
>>> The same speed can often be achieved with system V init by fine tuning
when the services start but systemd does that automatically.
>> If it's no faster then why is it a benefit?
>
> Binary logs with checksums is one benefit, much harder for a hacker or
malware to hide its tracks.

Without intent to be a pain in a... just respectfully disagreeing.

Harder only from the point of view current tools script kiddies use will
not deal with then. Fundamentally better security/forensics wise would be
to keep logs on remote secure server. Like in the very first computer
security lesson: you can not trust anything on compromised machine.

> Binary logging also makes it easier / faster to look at specific types
of events in the log.

Disagree. It is so only for people who are not familiar with few UNIX
tools such as grep, e.g.

> And sockets can be used before the service is actually started, so
services that want to log for example can start before the logger is
finished coming up.

> And it allows services to start on demand and stop when no longer
needed. I don't use that, but that is not as easy to do with system V init.

We always considered starting new process in UNIX to be very expensive.
Much more expensive than keeping the process in sleeping state. Sorry to
contradict again... or am I missing something?

> It also reduces issues related to poorly scripted init scripts, and
needing to sometimes change the numbers to make sure services start in the
correct order.

I am not getting your logic here. If something is poorly written _it_ has
to be fixed. Building the whole new building involves much more effort
than just small thing like init script.

> There are benefits, at least to some people. And there isn't anything I
could do with System V that can't be accomplished with systemd.

> systemd isn't critical to use, not for me, but other than needing to do
a little research and learning, it also isn't a negative.

It is not, you are right. But with my finite mental abilities and avalable
time I always find many extremely worty things to learn, this one not the
first on the list. But in the end a have a feeling that arguing on this
subject as the same senseless as religios one between those who believe
that God created people and those whe believe tha people created God for
themselves...

Valeri