[CentOS] CentOS and typical usage

Sun Dec 13 21:19:08 UTC 2015
Alice Wonder <alice at domblogger.net>

On 12/13/2015 12:45 PM, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
> On Sun, December 13, 2015 11:36 am, Alice Wonder wrote:

> startup.
> when the services start but systemd does that automatically.
>>> If it's no faster then why is it a benefit?
>>
>> Binary logs with checksums is one benefit, much harder for a hacker or
> malware to hide its tracks.
>
> Without intent to be a pain in a... just respectfully disagreeing.
>
> Harder only from the point of view current tools script kiddies use will
> not deal with then. Fundamentally better security/forensics wise would be
> to keep logs on remote secure server. Like in the very first computer
> security lesson: you can not trust anything on compromised machine.

It's a matter of knowing your machine has been compromised.

Modifying the binary logs to hide that you are there will result in
checksum inconsistencies, removing a few lines from text logs will not.

Yes, you can use text log to a remote machine to avoid that, but binary
logs let you on the local machine.

--
-=-
Sent my from my laptop, may not be able to respond timely