[CentOS] getting Google Earth to work.

Thu Dec 17 03:14:06 UTC 2015
Richard <lists-centos at listmail.innovate.net>

> Date: Wednesday, December 16, 2015 21:30:31 -0500
> From: Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>
>
> is a continual pain.
>
> I'm attempting to follow the instructions here:
> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpost.php?p=1650497&postcount=27
>
> (yes, I know it's a fedora forum (but the same stupid mistake
> persists in the GE packages) but apparently the rpmrebuild binary
> is nolonger available, at least not in Centos (specifically,
> CentOS-7.2.1511). As I know little about all the various rpm
> tools, I don't know how to do what is described there without
> rpmrebuild.
>
> rpmbuild --rebuild seems to ONLY build from a source archive, so it
> doesn't seem to do what I need.
>
> Advice appreciated!
>
> thanks in advance.
>
> Fred

I don't see a "-rebuild" option used on the page you reference.
Rather there's "-ep <local-rpm-file>.rpm", shown in "3.". Trying it
just now worked. I got a warning on the rebuild, but a new .rpm was
generated, which I was able to install and got google-earth to start
up.

If you follow the link on the second line ("I just had to follow the
steps",) at the top of the page you reference, the description in
"#32" seems to have all the necessary bits, including a link to an
rpmrebuild .rpm that will install on centos 7.2 (aka .1511) system.