[CentOS] Network services start before network is up since migrating to 7.2

Tue Dec 22 22:36:41 UTC 2015

John R Pierce wrote:
> On 12/22/2015 1:27 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> I beg your pardon. What*possible*  reason is there for a server,
>> hardwired, to "announce" itself to anything, other than DHCP? Everywhere
>> I've worked, and what I know, is that servers are assigned IP addresses,
>> they don't just take whatever's offered, willy-nilly. And if they do...
>> I do*not*  want to work there. That's not only unprofessional, it's an
>> insane security risk. Suppose someone puts their laptop on the intranet,
>> and has*it*  running a DHCP server?
>
> You do know there's more to life than static IP webapp servers, right?

You mean, like dhcp-served IP addresses that are tied to MAC addresses for
compute nodes, and heavy-duty research servers? No, really?
<snip>
> My development lab environment, most of my servers (75% VMs) are DHCP
> configured (using static and/or long lease time reservations), which
> makes doing PXE and such much easier.    A foreign DHCP server would
> quickly be detected by the corporate IDS and cut off the network.

Sorry, I believe I've mentioned here, before, that we only have a
couple-three VMs... we run the o/s on bare metal, because we need every
cycle.

Though I will admit that the system that I had to power cycle this
morning, where one of my user's week-long job had toasted, top showing a
load of (I'm not making this up) 286, and no response on the console, is
an extreme case. Normal for some of these week and two week-long jobs is
30-75....

       mark