[CentOS] Calibre installation fails on C7

Wed Dec 23 14:53:38 UTC 2015
James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca>

On Wed, December 23, 2015 00:33, John R Pierce wrote:

> prefixing this with, I have no idea what Calibre is...

Calibre is an open source e-reader that handles mobi files along with
many other e-reader formats.  See: http://calibre-ebook.com/

The last version supported on CentOS6 is v1.48. The latest version is
v2.47.0.

On Tue, December 22, 2015 22:06, Fred Smith wrote:
> Attempting to install latest Calibre on Centos-7, getting:
. . .
>   File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/httplib.py", line 1182, in __init__
>     context.load_cert_chain(cert_file, key_file)
> ssl.SSLError: [SSL] PEM lib (_ssl.c:2757)
>

> Can anybody advise me what this tells me? (other than SOMETHING wrong
> with some certificate...)

The error you are reporting may be due to some misconfiguration of the
certificate chain in the Python libraries.  Likely the case if you
recently updated to 7.2 as others have reported the same thing.  You
can try to perform a manual download and install, thus bypassing the
whole SSL mess, and see if that works. Quoting from the Calibre
website:

http://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux

Manual binary install or reverting to a previous version

If you wish to revert to an earlier calibre release or download a
calibre upgrade manually, download the tarball of that release from
here (choose the 32-bit or 64-bit version, as appropriate). Assuming
you want calibre in /opt/calibre, run the following command, changing
the path to calibre-tarball.txz below as appropriate:

    sudo mkdir -p /opt/calibre && sudo rm -rf /opt/calibre/* && sudo
tar xvf /path/to/downloaded/calibre-tarball.txz -C /opt/calibre &&
sudo /opt/calibre/calibre_postinstall

HTH.

Canada  L8E 3C3