[CentOS] Calibre installation fails on C7

Wed Dec 23 15:15:51 UTC 2015
Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Wed, Dec 23, 2015 at 09:53:38AM -0500, James B. Byrne wrote:

> On Wed, December 23, 2015 00:33, John R Pierce wrote:
>

> > prefixing this with, I have no idea what Calibre is...
> >

> Calibre is an open source e-reader that handles mobi files along with
> many other e-reader formats.  See: http://calibre-ebook.com/
>
> The last version supported on CentOS6 is v1.48. The latest version is
> v2.47.0.
>

> On Tue, December 22, 2015 22:06, Fred Smith wrote:
> > Attempting to install latest Calibre on Centos-7, getting:
> . . .
> >   File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/httplib.py", line 1182, in __init__
> >     context.load_cert_chain(cert_file, key_file)
> > ssl.SSLError: [SSL] PEM lib (_ssl.c:2757)
> >

> > Can anybody advise me what this tells me? (other than SOMETHING wrong
> > with some certificate...)
>

> The error you are reporting may be due to some misconfiguration of the
> certificate chain in the Python libraries.  Likely the case if you
> recently updated to 7.2 as others have reported the same thing.  You
> can try to perform a manual download and install, thus bypassing the
> whole SSL mess, and see if that works. Quoting from the Calibre
> website:
>
> http://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux
>
> Manual binary install or reverting to a previous version
>
> If you wish to revert to an earlier calibre release or download a
> calibre upgrade manually, download the tarball of that release from
> here (choose the 32-bit or 64-bit version, as appropriate). Assuming
> you want calibre in /opt/calibre, run the following command, changing
> the path to calibre-tarball.txz below as appropriate:
>
>     sudo mkdir -p /opt/calibre && sudo rm -rf /opt/calibre/* && sudo
> tar xvf /path/to/downloaded/calibre-tarball.txz -C /opt/calibre &&
> sudo /opt/calibre/calibre_postinstall
>
> HTH.

James:

Thanks for the detailed post.

On the Calibre forum, Kovid Goyal (Calibre maintainer) said basically
the same thing, so I did the manual install.

I'm wondering, is this a Python (packaging??) bug that needs to be put
in Centos and/or RH bug databases?

thanks again!

Fred

                        The Lord is like a strong tower.