[CentOS] Another Fedora decision

Thu Feb 5 01:14:16 UTC 2015
Warren Young <wyml at etr-usa.com>

> On Feb 4, 2015, at 5:55 PM, Always Learning <centos at u64.u22.net> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 2015-02-04 at 17:50 -0700, Warren Young wrote:
>
>>> rent time on a 6,000 machine botnet.
>
> Rent ?  That costs money. Just crack open some Windoze machines and do
> it for free. That is what many hackers do.

Acquiring your own botnet requires time and effort.  Renting someone else’s botnet trades one resource for another.

Nothing is free.  Just as with my analogy with safes, we’re not talking about absolute security.  We just need to make an attack *costly enough* that it will never succeed, if we do our part.  (Like not saying chmod 644 /etc/shadow !!)