[CentOS] Another Fedora decision

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 16:10:31 UTC 2015

On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 9:59 AM, Always Learning <centos at u64.u22.net> wrote:

> Foolish and stupid implicit trust in a third party. Just look at the
> Windoze world ever since Win95 (first edition of many) materialised.
> Trust M$ and get a free virus every time !

I wouldn't go there unless you want to compare against, say Red Hat 4
(original, not RHEL) of the same era where virtually every service had
remote exploits - and we are still finding them.  Or unless you have
some sort of proof that a current Windows 2012 server is less secure
or stable than a Linux distro.

> In addition to my Centos Leaning mailing list suggestion, I would like
> to see a free web based Centos security questionnaire to ask users
> security related questions and then present a rating based upon their
> correct answers. Red Hat people and Fedora people too lurk on here, yet
> there is a reluctance (probably commercially inspired) not to fully
> respond to the challenges threatening all of us 'today'.

Let's start with why your /etc/shadow has read access.  That's one of
the things that was right out of the box.  What changed it and why?

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com