[CentOS] CentOS 7: software RAID 5 array with 4 disks and no spares?

Niki Kovacs info at microlinux.fr
Wed Feb 18 22:59:37 UTC 2015

Le 18/02/2015 23:12, Chris Murphy a écrit :
> What is NOT obvious: for single device installs, if you omit the size
> in the create mount point dialog, the size of the resulting volume
> will consume all remaining space. But since there's no way to preset
> raid5 at the time a mount point is created (raid5 is set after the
> fact), there isn't a clear way to say "use all remaining space for
> this". There's just a size field for the volume, and a space available
> value in the lower left hand corner.

Well, maybe it's just me. I've started Linux on Slackware 7.1 and used
pretty much every major and minor distribution under the sun. I know my
way around Slackware, Debian, CentOS, FreeBSD, Gentoo, Arch and many
more, and my favourite installer is - and will always be - Slackware's
bone-headed NCurses installer that lets the admin do pretty much what he
wants - and needs - to do. CentOS 5.x's text mode installer got pretty
close, but then, for mysterious reasons, Red Hat decided to cripple it
into oblivion. Go figure.

I love CentOS, been using it since 4.x. But frankly, CentOS 7's
installer is an abomination.

All's well that ends well. It only took me a day and a half to figure
out how to configure RAID 5 using the graphical assistant. Something I
could have done in less than three minutes using fdisk and mdadm --create.

Cheers,

Niki

7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat
Web  : http://www.microlinux.fr