[CentOS] CentOS 7: software RAID 5 array with 4 disks and no spares?

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Thu Feb 19 09:17:43 UTC 2015

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 12:06 AM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
> On 2/18/2015 9:39 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
>>
>> You might be a candidate for LVM integrated raid. It uses the md
>> kernel code on the backend, but it's all LVM tools to create, manage
>> and monitor. The raid level is defined per LV, instead of all LV's in
>> a VG inheriting the underlying raid. It supports all levels of raid
>> including 5/6. ... ...
>> ... ... btrfs ...
>

> actually, I prefer zfs.   I was just saying how I do it on CentOS, where zfs
> is not really an option.

It should be possible on CentOS 7, I know a couple people using ZoL in
production on Fedora since circa Fedora 19. The ZoL implementation is
not nearly as kernel version dependent as Btrfs is right now. But I
think most anyone would say at the moment the implementation is much
better on FreeBSD.

While ZFS is production stable, Btrfs comes with caveats. But already
it requires far less resources than ZFS, can grow and shrink in ways
ZFS can't, and I think snapshots are easier to understand, no
parent-child type relationship.

> .... but, is that lvm integrated raid stuff available in RHEL/CentOS 6 or 7
> yet ?

Yes since CentOS 6.3.

--
Chris Murphy