[CentOS] Package group "X Window System" has disappeared

Ned Slider ned at unixmail.co.uk
Fri Feb 27 14:24:12 UTC 2015

On 27/02/15 13:27, Greg Bailey wrote:
> On 02/27/2015 02:54 AM, Niki Kovacs wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Until last week, I could install a CentOS 7 based desktop using the
>> following approach:
>>
>> 1. Install minimal system.
>>
>> 2. yum groupinstall "X Window System"
>>
>> 3. yum install gdm gnome-classic-session gnome-terminal liberation-fonts
>>
>> 4. Install applications as needed.
>>
>> This morning, the package group "X Window System" seems to have
>> disappeared. This is embarrassing.
>>
>> What happened?
>>
>> Niki
>
> Works for me, although I have to do "yum group list hidden" to see the
> "X Window System" group (both as available for installation, and as
> installed once I've done the group install invocation).  "yum group list
> hidden" and "yum group list hidden ids" are 2 variations I only learned
> about recently...

Nice tip! I've added it to the Yum tips and tricks section on the wiki
as there wasn't anything there on working with yum groups:

http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/YumAndRPM#head-b3159dc0594ab59a5ae0c27d86c3815085064419

Note 'yum group list' only works on el7 whereas 'yum grouplist' works
across el5/6/7 so I've gone with that syntax on the wiki.