[CentOS] Odd nfs mount problem [SOLVED]

Louis Lagendijk louis at fazant.net
Sat Feb 28 08:59:10 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2015-02-27 at 16:46 -0500, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> >> I'm exporting a directory, firewall's open on both machines (one CentOS
> >> 6.6, the other RHEL 6.6), it automounts on the exporting machine, but
> >> the
> >> other server, not so much.
> >>
> >> ls /mountpoint/directory eventually times out (directory being the NFS
> >> mount). mount -t nfs server:/location/being/exported /mnt works... but
> >> an
> >> immediate ls /mnt gives me stale file handle.
> >>
> >> The twist on this: the directory being exported is on an xfs
> >> filesystem...
> >> one that's 33TB (it's an external RAID 6 appliance).
> >>
> >> Any ideas?
> >>
> > Oh, yes: I did just think to install xfs_progs, and did that, but still no
> > joy.
> >

> Since we got the RAID appliance mounted, we'd started with a project
> directory on it, and that exported just fine. So what seems to work was to
> put the new directory under that, and then export *that*.  That is,
> /path/to/ourproj, which mounts under /ourproj, and we wanted to mount
> something else under /otherproj, (note that ourproj is the large xfs
> filesystem), so instead of /path/to/otherproj, I just exported
> /path/to/ourproj/otherproj, and mounted that on the other system as
> /otherproj.

What NFS version are you using? V4? if so, have a look at the nfs4
requirement to export the parent of you exports wih fsid=1

> Does that make sense? Clear as mud? Anyway, it looks like we have our
> workaround.
>
>        mark "wish nfs could handle an option of inode64"
I have  no experience with the combination of xfs and nfs, but it seems
to be possible, see:
http://xfs.org/index.php/XFS_FAQ#Q:_Why_doesn.27t_NFS-exporting_subdirectories_of_inode64-mounted_filesystem_work.3F

Louis