[CentOS] Another Fedora decision

Tue Feb 3 03:29:41 UTC 2015

On Mon, February 2, 2015 8:34 pm, PatrickD Garvey wrote:
> OK, folks. You're doing a great job of describing the current milieu
> with a rough description of some best practices.
>
> Now how about some specific sources you personally used to learn your
> craft that we can use likewise?

I've learned system administration way back (of course, I do flatter
myself by thinking what I'm saying ;-) and still I keep learning new
things all the time when I'm doing my job. Unix system administration book
was a big thing (big step after computer science degree I got some time
before); TrinityOS: a guide to configuring your Linux server for
performance, security and manageability by David A. Ranch was a big step I
can remember from way back. And after you got the basis, keep challenging
yourself by doing new things. Of course, there are a bunch of other more
specialized books... Not that I consider I mastered this craft, but I
hopefully maintain my boxes so that they are secure...

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago