[CentOS] Another Fedora decision

Tue Feb 3 04:02:41 UTC 2015
Kahlil Hodgson <kahlil.hodgson at dealmax.com.au>

On 3 February 2015 at 13:34, PatrickD Garvey <patrickdgarveyt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Now how about some specific sources you personally used to learn your
> craft that we can use likewise?

So many places it makes my brain hurt just thinking about it.  Google
and Wikipedia will keep you busy for a long while.

Off the top of my head:

There are some online "Security Handbooks" around (I think RedHat
publish one) which lay some of the basic ground work.

SANS (http://www.sans.org/) and OWASP (https://www.owasp.org/) have
some good resources.  If you are cashed up, you can even do courses
with SANS.

Reading about the security infrastructure that you are already using
is a good idea, often accessible via mysterious things called "man
pages". I learned a lot simply by reading about pam, iptables, and
selinux.

Thinking about you systems from a penetration testing perspective can
be helpful.  For example, "Always Learning" has just told us that he
uses single character root passwords on his testing machines, that he
is testing 7 days a week and does not turn off his test machines.  A
pen tester or cracker could use that information to formulate a
potentially successful attack strategy.

Google "free penetration testing tools".  Only use the tools if you
own the network or have written permission.  Just reading about the
tools can give you some insight into attack strategies that you should
be defending against.  Please don't try to attack "Always Learning".

Download and unpack a copy of rkhunter. Have a look inside. Its just a
bunch of bash scripts. Good insight into some surprisingly simple
historical attacks.

Google "linux security hardening".  There are a lot of resources out
there.  The hard part is sifting out the gold from the crap.  Sorry
can help much there.

There are many other people on this list who have a much better grasp
on this stuff than me.  Hope they chime in.

Hope this helps,

Kal