[CentOS] Another Fedora decision

Wed Feb 4 21:36:54 UTC 2015
Always Learning <centos at u64.u22.net>

On Wed, 2015-02-04 at 14:08 -0500, Lamar Owen wrote:

> However, the reason you want a password that is not easily bruteforced
> has nothing to do with this, and all bruteforce attempts cannot be
> blocked by this method.

Thanks for your well-explained concerns. You make good sense.

Just counted the characters in one of my root passwords. It uses
uppercase, lowercase, symbols, numbers and is a mere 25 characters long.
Another one is, I think, about 32 characters long.

Plain FTP is banned. SSH is shifted away to an obscure port and
permitted only for 3 predetermined IP addresses. Web hackers are
automatically banned after the first attempt. Similar defences are
employed against spammers and mail hackers.

I restrict directory and file access to special users with no-logon
ability. I upgrade immediately a replacement is announced. I read my
chosen selection of logs and self-created reporting programmes from
every server.

IP Tables restricts in and out traffic as much as possible. DROP appears
everywhere.

I'm not paranoid about security but I do not intend to be a passive or a
willing victim of hacking etc.  I would jail hackers for a minimum of 6
months.

--
Regards,

Paul.