[CentOS] Nvidia Mod Update

Sun Feb 8 16:14:38 UTC 2015

On Sun, February 8, 2015 9:33 am, Ned Slider wrote:

> On 08/02/15 14:24, Pete Geenhuizen wrote:
>>
>> On 02/08/15 07:45, Ned Slider wrote:
>>>
>>> On 08/02/15 12:33, Pete Geenhuizen wrote:
>>> No, you don't have the package kmod-nvidia-340xx installed. You have
>>> kmod-nvidia VERSION 340.65. In the first example, the package NAME is
>>> kmod-nvidia-340xx (the -340xx is part of the package name, NOT the
>>> version).
>>>
>>> Please do as I advised:
>>>
>>> yum erase kmod-nvidia
>>> yum install kmod-nvidia-340xx
>>> reboot
>>>
>>> Because you now no longer have package kmod-nvidia installed, yum will
>>> not try to update you to the latest version. You will stay forever on
>>> the 340.xx branch which is the last version to support your hardware.
>>>
>>> Hope that helps
>>>
>> Oops, yup right you are, kinda missed that small but important detail.
>>
>> Thx.
>> Pete
>>

> No problem Pete.
>
> Now you are on the correct branch you will continue to get updates to
> that 340.xx driver as and when nvidia release them. IIRC, nvidia said
> they would continue to support the 340.xx legacy branch until the end of
> 2019, so for the best part of another 5 years :-)

<rant>

Yes, Nvidia finally made it into my bad hardware manufacturers list not
long ago. To the contrary to majority of Linux folks I never favored
Nvidia. My preference was always ATI (not long ago bought out by AMD). ATI
in my observation has always better documented chip in openly availale
documentation. This, plus great open source team yielded in much better
open source ATI driver. Which always worked well for me for wide variety
of configurations in many of which be it nvidia card I had to use nvidia
proprietary binary driver (I often heard people saying "compiling nvidia
driver for new kernel", which is incorrect. The driver is binary, you are
compiling interface for this driver for particular kernel).

This yet doesn't constitute good enough reason to add nvidia to my bad
hardware manufacturers list. I just disfavored it, and favored ATI. Even a
mess with card naming you face when you look for driver for your card on
their website isn't reason for that. Occasionally I was getting boxes with
nvidia cards, just to refresh my disliking of nvidia. In a few cases I
just plainly replaced them with ATI cards. What made my decision to add
nidia to my bad hardware manufacturers list was: not long ago they stopped
releasing new binary drivers (compatible with new kernels/glibc) for some
old cards I have my department. The machines, though old, still serve as
generic workstations... This did it: nvidia now in my bad hardware
manufacturers list

</rant>

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev