[CentOS] Nvidia Mod Update

Wed Feb 11 15:11:53 UTC 2015
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On 02/08/2015 11:14 AM, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
> .. What made my decision to add
> nidia to my bad hardware manufacturers list was: not long ago they stopped
> releasing new binary drivers (compatible with new kernels/glibc) for some
> old cards I have my department. The machines, though old, still serve as
> generic workstations... This did it: nvidia now in my bad hardware
> manufacturers list

ATI/AMD does the same thing with their Catalyst drivers.  Try finding a
recent Catalyst driver for a still otherwise very useful X800.  My
experience with nVidia is that they do tend to support their older chips
a bit longer in some cases.

Having said that, I have found the open source radeon drivers to expose
more features than the open source noveau drivers do.  The
aforementioned X800 is well-supported in the open source drivers (all
the way back to the really old Radeon 7000 series (R100) is supported).