[CentOS] Intel Displayport on Centos 7

Valeri Galtsev

galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Sat Jan 31 21:15:05 UTC 2015

On Sat, January 31, 2015 1:19 pm, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 1/31/2015 10:34 AM, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
>> I see that single link DVI supports up to WQUXGA (3,840 × 2,400) @ 17 Hz
>> (164 MHz) whereas dual link DVI supports up to WQUXGA (3,840 × 2,400) @
>> 33
>> Hz with GTF blanking (2 × 159 MHz)
>
> those numbers seem wrong to me.   nothing I've ever seen uses 17hz or
> 33hz refresh, its all pretty much 60Hz in LCD flat panel land.
>
> single link DVI goes up to 1920x1200 in practice, and dual link up to
> 2560x1600.   so-called '4K', really 3840x2160, requires DisplayPort, or
> HDMI 2.0  (1.4 supports 4K at 30Hz only).
>
> there's actually something like 5 possible DVI combinations. DVI-D is
> digital only (no analog/VGA output).  DVI-A is analog only (really just
> VGA with a different connector, I've never seen this in the real
> world).  DVI-I is both analog and digital in parallel on the same
> connector.    either of the digital formats can be single or dual link.

Not in a course of argument, but just to mention. The modes that I cited
are from the DVI standard restrictions (basically driven by data troughput
restriction) taken verbatrim from wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

I only took the mode with highest X*Y resolution hence having smallest
refresh frequency. In the reference above all modes are listed including
practical ones (with refresh rates 60 and 30 Hz).

I screwed up about one thing though: I called DVI-D "dual link" whereas
DVI-D stands for "digital only" both single or dual link, there doesn't
seem to be special designation for dual link...

As far as what particular card can/will support, it all depends on the
chip it uses (and may also for the same chip depend on board design).

I hope, this clears it all. And my apologies if my original message caused
any confusion.

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator