[CentOS] Orwell's 1984 from Freedesktop,org?

Fri Jan 23 03:18:29 UTC 2015
Rob Kampen <rkampen at kampensonline.com>

On 01/23/2015 04:05 PM, Always Learning wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-01-22 at 21:19 -0500, Bill Maltby (C4B) wrote:
>
>> I object to this sort of crap. Hidden, no reason for an *IX desktop to
>> be forced to ignore or deal with this crap.
>>
>> Anybody else seeing it?
>>
>> In case attachments aren't allowed in the list, here's the Dropbox url
>> for the image.
>>
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/b2p2ki7t2rwi5ot/FreeDeskTop_Org_Orwell_1984.png?dl=0
>>
>> I believe this relates to an earlier thread in which someone questioned
>> what that Freedesktop.org stuff was doing (as did I).
>>
>> Any help appreciated.
> What is going-on ?  It really looks Windozed !  Looking at it makes me
> feel ill.

Seriously??
If, as most linux folk do, you run your desktop as a normal user (i.e.
NOT root) and then you try to do some system type changing, then there
are two options -
1. tell the user to go away
2. ask for suitable credentials
The authenticate dialog box is offering to complete the task as long the
password for root is supplied - what on earth is wrong with that?
On the command line you just get a cryptic not allowed, insufficient
rights etc. type message, with GUI the developer is interpreting this
and offering to escalate privileges if you can prove you are allowed.

Most of the applications under the system/administration tab of the
gnome desktop offer this kind of dialog.
Sorry I don't see the reason for the paranoia.