[CentOS] dual-booting <- Re: installing Cents os server 7.0

Warren Young wyml at etr-usa.com
Fri Jul 3 06:57:10 UTC 2015

On Jul 3, 2015, at 12:23 AM, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 2, 2015, 11:05 PM Warren Young <wyml at etr-usa.com> wrote:
>
>> Until you explain how you’re going to get CentOS to be preinstalled on a
> billion devices per year, I don’t see how you can connect Android’s success
> to CentOS.  Where is the market force that will cause this to happen?
>
> I'm not making a number of installs argument. I'm talking about user
> experience.

It makes no sense to talk about the UX of CentOS as compared to Android while ignoring the billions of dollars that flow into the Android ecosystem.  You cannot expect CentOS UX to approach or exceed Android’s UX without giving it equivalent resources.

> OS X 10.n only on the computer. Then shrink that volume, and make a second
> volume, and install 10.n+1. Both boot. Out of the box. No post install
> work. Same for Windows.
>
> RHEL/CentOS/Fedora? N and then N+1? N will fail to boot until you fix it
> post install. And grub2-mkconfig won't help do it correctly in a way that
> obviates having to always manually run it again.
>
> Terrible UX.

Now you’re finally talking sense.

I agree, Linuxes generally should be able to push other Linux installs around, dual-boot, etc.  I will even go so far as to say that it is not unreasonable to expect that, say, Debian should be able to carve a slice for itself on a computer currently monopolized by CentOS.

You’ll be working on fixing this as soon as you’re done writing emails about it, right? :)

> But at least you let the Secure Boot arguing go…

You misunderstand.  I am not on a crusade, like you seem to be.  I can make my point and move on.  I have no need to keep making the same point again and again and again, all on the wrong list.