[CentOS] C6.6 Gnome panel problem

Sun Jul 26 17:34:21 UTC 2015
Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

Hi all!

I usually keep the panels on my Centos 6.6 (Gnome) so they auto-hide,
but t'other day I wanted to keep the top panel visible for a while to
make the clock visible for doing some rough timings.

so I open the top panel, click properties, and UNcheck the "autohide"
checkbox, close the properties menu, and to my surprise, the panel
still autohides. Went thru that exercise several times ("come on guys,
lets keep doing the same thing over and over til it works!", like
congress does)

So I open up the gnome configuration editor and browse around to find
apps/panel/default_setup/toplevels/top_panel and
apps/panel/toplevels/top_panel.

neither one has a check in the checkbox for autohide, so I'm at a
loss here as to what's going on.

Anybody out there got any clues?

thanks!

Fred